Indira Gandhi National Tribal University
The Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, Amarkantak was established to cater to the dream of higher education among the tribals. It came into existence by the Indira Gandhi National Tribal University Act, 2007 and started functioning on July 2008. The jurisdiction of the University extends to the whole country and it is fully funded by the Central Government through the University Grant Commission.
Aims and Objectives of Indira Gandhi National Tribal University
The tribal people have rich cultural heritage and skill of art and craft but they are still marginalized in respect to higher education. Now in the present age of globalization the world has shrunk into a village as the society has advanced in technology. But the tribes, who are the custodians of Indian culture in real sense, are far behind in this race of advancement. In order to rescue them from the present plight, the university has put before itself the following aims and objectives-
- To provide avenues of education, especially higher education and research facilities primarily for the tribal population of India.
- To disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in tribal art, tradition, culture, language, medicinal systems, customs, forest based economic activities, flora, fauna and advancement in technologies relating to the natural resources of the tribal areas.
- To collaborate with national and international universities and organizations, especially for undertaking cultural studies and research on tribal communities.
- To formulate tribal centric development models, publish reports and monographs and to organize conferences and seminars on issues relating to tribes and to provide inputs to policy matters in different spheres.
- To take appropriate measures for promoting the members of tribal communities capable of managing, administering and looking after their own needs by access to higher education through a university of their own.
- To disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in such other branches of learning as it may deem fit.
- To take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching learning process in inter-disciplinary studies and researches and to pay special attention to the improvement of social, educational and economic conditions and welfare of the scheduled tribes within the Union of India.
Departments in Indira Gandhi National Tribal University
- Department of Ancient Indian History, Culture & Archaeology
- Department of Applied Psychology
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Botany
- Department of Business Management
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Economics
- Department of Education
- Department of English and Foreign Languages
- Department of Environment Science
- Department of Geography and Regional Development
- Department of Geology
- Department of Hindi
- Department of History
- Department of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Department of Linguistics and Contrastive Study of Tribal Languages
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Physics
- Department of Political Science and Human Rights
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Sociology and Social Anthropology
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Tourism Management
- Department of Tribal Studies
- Department of Vocational Education
- Department of Yoga
- Department of Zoology
Admission in Indira Gandhi National Tribal University
University invites applications from bright and aspiring students for admission to various programmes through an all India entrance examination (IGNTU-AIEE).
- Online application begins: 22nd January 2018
- Online application closes: 16th April 2018
- Date of Entrance Exam: 5th and 6th May 2018
Address: Lal Pur, Amarkantak,
Madhya Pradesh 484886
Toll Free No- 18002339777,
Phone: 269854, 269855