State Forest Research Institute Jabalpur
State Forest Research Institute Jabalpur was established on 27th June, 1963, for the scientific development of forestry sector in the state and granted autonomy on 29th October, 1994. Over the years the institute has developed as an educational, training, research and consultancy organization at the state and national level.
Vision of SFRI
The vision of SFRI is to function as nodal centre of research in forestry and to provide scientific support to the state and its peoples on matters related to forestry, with particular emphasis on conservation, sustainable utilization and scientific management of natural resources.
Functions of State Forest Research Institute Jabalpur
- Adaptive and applied research programmes
- Research on tropical forestry, environment and biodiversity conservation.
- Conducts multidisciplinary research, provides technical advice to practical problems. It also disseminates research findings through training, education, seminars, workshops, public fairs and consultancy services.
- Brings out technical bulletins, series of pamphlets, brochures and two quarterly journals namel ‘Vaniki Sandesh’ and ‘Van-Dhan Vyapar’. ‘Vaniki Sandesh
On-going research in State Forest Research Institute Jabalpur
- Conservation of forests and forest resources - soil, water and floral and faunal diversity.
- Enhancement of productivity of natural forests and plantations.
- Efficient and sustainable utilization of forest resources and forest products – timber and NTFPs and expansion of tree cover.
- Sustainable management of forests involving forest -dependent communities and people’s participation
- Mass production of high fruit yielding forest tree species through biotechnological approaches.
- Preparation of inventory and biodiversity assessment in Madhya Pradesh.
- Protection and conservation of wildlife resources in Madhya Pradesh.
Research Branches in State Forest Research Institute Jabalpur
- Biodiversity and Medicinal Plants
- Forest Botany
- Forest Ecology and Environment (EIA Cell)
- Forest Genetics, Plant Propagation and Bio-technology
- Forest Mensuration And Statistics
- Seed Technology
- Social Economics,Marketing And Utilization
- Tree Improvement
- Extension,Training and Consultancy
- Library and Documentation
- Computer and Information Technology
State Forest Research Institute
Polipathar Jabalpur (M.P.) 482008
Phones : 91-761-2665540, 2666529
Fax : 91-761-2661304